Wednesday, August 25, 2010

SCOTTISH OAT SCONES

I saw this recipe over at Simple Bites and I had to try it. Growing up we really did not eat oats. I don't think I ever had oatmeal until I was well into my twenties. But I do like afternoon tea, so I had to give these a try.

You will need: all purpose flour, rolled oats, salt, organic cane sugar, baking powder, unsalted butter, an egg, and milk.

Pour the all purpose flour and rolled oats into a bowl.

Add the sugar.


Throw in the baking powder.

And add the salt.

Mix it together with a fork and make a well in the middle.

In a small bowl or measuring cup whisk together the milk and an egg. Add the melted butter and mix together.

Pour the egg mixture into dry ingredients.

Mix together with a fork.

Divide the mixture in half and pat into 2 circles on a pan lined with parchment. Or you can do what I did and experiment with the other half.

I decided to try adding dried cranberries and chocolate chips to the other half of the dough. I brushed the scones with milk and topped them with a sprinkle of cane sugar. Bake in an oven preheated to 425˚ for about 10-12 minutes. They should be a light golden brown.

When I was done, I had oat scones....


Chocolate chip scones and......

Cranberry scones...Too bad I didn't have any clotted cream in the house. That would have been scrumptious.

OAT SCONES
(from Simple Bites)
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar, plus more for dusting
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup milk, plus about 2 tablespoons to top the scones

PREPARATION

  1. Preheat oven to 425˚
  2. In a large bowl mix together flour, rolled oats, sugar, baking powder and salt and make a well in the middle.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk. Add in the melted butter.
  4. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and combine with a fork. (At this point you can add in dried cranberries, raisins, or chocolate. I would add about 1/2 cup.)
  5. Divide the dough in half and pat into the shape of a circle about 1 inch thick. You can divided them into wedges now or wait until they come out of the oven. I tried both methods.
  6. Take the additional 2 tablespoons of milk and brush the tops of the scones and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar.
  7. Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment