Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cuban Shepherd's Pie

I decided to make a Cuban Shepherd's Pie since I had already made Picadillo. All you need to do is replace the potatoes in a the traditional Sheppard's pie with sweet plantains. I will be taking this over to my grandmother later.

Sweet plantains for those of you that aren't familiar with them are the very ripe plantains. They have a partially black or all black peel and will be soft to the touch. The darker the peel the sweeter (and mushier) the plantain is.
I used 2 plantains. I sliced them into about 2 inch rounds (leave the peel on) and place them into a pot and covered them with water. Boil until tender. About 20 minutes.

When the plantains are tender, carefully remove them from the pot. You can easily remove the peel now. I use a fork and knife to remove the peels to avoid burning my hands. Mash up the plantains with a fork. This mash is called "Fufu de Platano".


Place your picadillo in an oven-proof baking dish. Leave enough room to add the fufu de platano.


Cover the picadillo with the fufu de platano. And place in an oven that has been preheated to 375 ˚ F for about 10 minutes or until it is all heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment