Here is what you'll need. It is an overcast and rainy day in Miami, so the lighting for the pictures stinks.
Cut up the plantains into chunks.
Peel 2 cloves of garlic. Put the plantain chunks and the garlic cloves in a pot of water and boil until the plantains are tender. About 20 minutes.
Chop a small onion. It will be about 1/2 cup.
While you are boiling the plantains, heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil and add the chopped onions. Cook until the onions are translucent.
I don't know how to fry bacon, so I just microwaved 3 slices of Boar's Head pre-cooked bacon. Then I chopped it up.
Once the plantains are tender, carefully remove the plantain from the boiling water.
You can peel the plantain with a fork and knife.
Mash up the plantains and the garlic cloves. Add in the bacon and the onions.
FUFU DE PLATANO - SWEET PLANTAIN MASH
- 2 very ripe sweet plantains (almost black), chopped into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the sweet plantain chunks and garlic cloves in a pot of water and boil until tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Add the onions and cook until translucent over medium heat.
- When the plantains are tender, remove from the water, peel and discard peels. Mash the plantains and garlic cloves.
- Add the cooked onion and chopped bacon to the plantain mash and mix until well combined.