Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dill Weed Potato Salad

My aunt gave me this recipe card. It is a recipe from TGB's mother. Before she gave me the recipe she told me that she got me this wonderful recipe for a Walnut salad from TGB's mom. As you can see the only "W" in the recipe's name is the word "weed" and the recipe has absolutely no walnuts. I have no idea where she comes up with this stuff. Obviously, I did not get my interest in cooking from her.

Here is the cast of characters.


I got the munchkin to scrub about 12 potatoes before I boiled them (with the peels still on).

Dice about 3 stalks of celery. It should be about 3/4 cup.

While the potatoes are boiling, start making the dressing. Mix 1/2 cup olive oil and 2 tablespoons of vinegar (I used cider vinegar.).

Add 1 teaspoon salt.

Add 1 teaspoon white pepper.

Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.

Add 1 teaspoon onion powder.

Peel the potatoes while they are warm and cube them.

Add about 1/3 cup sliced green onion (the white and green tops). Pour about 1/3 of the oil dressing mixture over the potato and onion mixture. Let them stand for about one hour or more.

To the remaining oil mixture add 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 2 teaspoons chopped dill weed. (I use it from the bottle).

Mix it until well combined.

This is what it should look like.

Add the celery to the potato mixture.

Add 4 chopped hard boiled eggs to the potato mixture.

Fold in the dill weed dressing. We had this salad on Easter Sunday along with some ham.
DILL WEED POTATO SALAD
Ingredients
  • 12 potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
  • 1/3 cup sliced green onions (onion and green tops)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon white ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons chopped dill weed (I use it from the bottle)
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup diced celery

Preparation

  1. Boil the potatoes in the jackets.
  2. Peel the potatoes and cube the potatoes while still warm. Place the potatoes in a bowl and add the onions.
  3. Combine olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.
  4. Pour about 1/3 of the mixture over the potatoes. Let stand for one hour or more.
  5. To the remaining olive oil mixture, add mayonnaise, sour cream, and dill weed.
  6. To the potatoes add the diced celery and the chopped egg.
  7. Fold in the dill weed dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment