Thursday, April 22, 2010

Anyone Can Cook!


My aunt is 55. To say that she discovered the joy of cooking late in life is an understatement. It was after watching the movie Tortilla Soup in 2001 that she decided that cooking for her family might be one of those things that she might like to do. Of course, by that time I was 29, my brother 28 and my cousin (her daughter) was 18. Better late than never. She still follows a recipe to make something and she does not substitute or tweak a recipe like I tend to do. My Tia will only make a substitution after consulting an "expert" first.
I am posting a picture of the lunch she made for us last Sunday. This is her famous fattoush salad. The fattoush salad has tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, onion, lemon juice, and olive oil. It is divine and absolutely simple to make. She replaces the traditional lamb with pork loin. I think she feels guilty about eating lamb. She has eaten lamb at my house, but I probably told her it was ground turkey. I absolutely love this salad, and I will post her recipe for the fattoush salad another day.
But I hope this post is proof that anyone can cook. And you are never too young or too old to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment