Don't' be intimidated by them. All you need is two egg whites, 1/2 cup of sugar, and a mixer.
It is easier to separate the egg whites while the eggs are cold. Place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl and let the egg whites come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
With your mixer, beat the egg whites for about a minute until they get frothy. Then, with the mixer running slowly add the sugar and keep mixing at a medium high speed for 7 to 10 minutes.
You will then have stiff peaks.
Preheat your oven to 200º F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. You can either use two spoons or a pastry bag to form the merenguitos. Today I decided to use a spoon and make my merenguitos a bit rustic looking.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 2 hours. Do not open the oven door for the first half of the baking time. I rotate the baking pan after 1 hour.
Turn off the oven and leave the merenguitos in the oven with the oven door slightly ajar so that the merenguitos can finish drying out.
MERENGUITOS - MERINGUES
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the sugar while you continue to beat the egg whites on high speed. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 200º F.
- You can either mound the meringue onto the baking sheet using a spoon or you can use a pastry bag to pipe the meringue.
- Bake the merenguitos for about 2 hours. Rotate the pan after one hour.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door a crack and leave the merenguitos in the oven for at least one more hour to dry out.